Now not all of my smaller scraps are triangles, and combining this with the fact that I did not want too much repetition of colours, I used up some of my other scrappy fabric, e.g. from left over bindings, and cut those into similar-sized triangles. The idea is to piece each triangle with some white background fabric, and cut that down into a small square, with each triangle block to be unique in terms of the triangles position & obviously colour.
Each square is cut to 3.5 inches - so when sewn together each block is approx 16.5 inches wide by 15 inches long - you may notice that every second line starts halfway through the first square of the above line (hence an additional 1.5"s). Thank goodness white fabric is cheap - I am going through this like nothing else, and there is a surprising amount of waste for the two blocks completed to date - ironic... trying to use up scraps and whilst doing so creating more scraps then what I started with :)
I think for the 'speckled effect' to really work, the quilt would need to be approx 80 x 80"s large. Well, I'm thinking more along the lines of 95-100"s x 90" for something extra large and to have this quilted by Sue B on the long arm machine. Plenty of time to decide that as I don't want this to be a rushed project as each block takes a bit of time to put together.
Here is the progress to date...
|I love putting up pieced fabric against the window to get a stained glass effect!|
|Some Oakshott & Kaffe Fasset fabrics, and a couple of fabrics which were used for the binding on my most recent quilts|
|Late afternoon sun|
|Two blocks (out of either 25 or 36 - this will be decided once I hit 25)|
Today was Heidi's big day at the Vet. I seriously contemplated about not getting Heidi spayed to at least give her the chance to have a litter of puppies of her own. How nice would this have been for her? And right now I feel quite sad because she never had that choice. I'm sure that she would have wanted puppies of her own, and that she would have made a great mum. I am not saying that spaying/neutering is wrong (otherwise I wouldn't have got Heidi spayed) - all I want to do is acknowledge the fact that Heidi will never be able to have puppies of her own - and that makes me sad for her...
|Heidi the morning of her surgery - I think she can tell something is up :(|
Whilst Heidi was at the Vet, I decided to give the place a bit of a clean up including giving both of Heidi's quilts a decent wash. The quilt on the left, I have never posted about before. This was the first quilt of which I did everything by myself (my very first quilt, the blue and white checkered number was quilted on Sue B's long arm machine). I never liked this quilt, in particular the backing, so I decided to give this to Heidi :)
|Out of surgery, and getting some good rest in the shade - get well soon :)|
Below is a picture of Tessa, who sadly passed away coming up to three years ago. I think about her often - and with Heidi not being around the house today, it made me think of Tessa and how much I miss her.